What is Cancer?
Cancer is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body. Cancer develops when the body’s normal control mechanism stops working. Old cells do not die and instead grow out of control, forming new, abnormal cells. These extra cells may form a mass of tissue, called a tumor. Cancer may occur anywhere in the body.
Types of Cancer ?
There are five main categories of cancer:
- Carcinomas = It begin in the skin or tissues that line the internal organs.
- Sarcomas = It develop in the bone, cartilage, fat, muscle or other connective tissues.
- Leukemia = It begins in the blood and bone marrow.
- Lymphomas = it start in the immune system
- Central nervous system cancers = It develop in the brain and spinal cord.
Treatment of Cancer?
Treatment options depend on the type of cancer, its stage, if the cancer has spread and your general health. The goal of treatment is to kill as many cancerous cells while reducing damage to normal cells nearby.
The three main treatments are:
- Surgery = Which directly removing the tumor
- Chemotherapy = using cytotoxic drugs to kill the cancer cells
- Radiotherapy = using high energy rays to kill cancer cells